To date older or to not date older, that is the question? Have you every dated older? How was the experience? Did the relationship last? How did your families react? These are just a few questions people ask when they find out someone is dating someone almost or more than 10 years older. From married couples Jay Z and Beyonce having a 12 year age difference, Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim having a 20 year age difference to the infamous Huge Hefner and Crystal Harris having a 60 year age difference, it makes you wonder why would someone date someone so much older than them. What could they possibly have in common?
Women dating older men are quite the norm in society these days; you can always find a young "tenderoni" on the arms of a salt and pepper haired man. When you think of a man dating a younger woman they are viewed as “the man” they are cheered on by society for their actions. However, when an older woman dates a younger man, she is considered a “cougar” and “trying to get her groove back”. The stigma is different for both genders and depending on how liberal you are will determine how you judge the situation.
Here are 5 Pros and Cons for dating older men:
- Security- It’s always comforting knowing that your man can handle everything. From bills to safety, some women can find a peace and knowing that their man can handle it.
- Stability – He’s secured in his career and the person that he is. He knows what he wants and how to go about getting it.
- He is ready to settle down – The party days are over and he is ready to settle down and be a family man.
- Better at sex- With age comes experience (I hope, lol)
- Mature- He’s wiser and can teach you a thing or two about life because he’s been there done that, and is moving on.
- Nothing in common- You’re both born in different decades it may be hard to find a common ground right from the start.
- Already did it – He may have already been married with several children, and might not want to do it again. If you don’t have children or haven’t been married yet, making sure you both want the same things is important.
- Controlling – Older people tend to believe they “know it all” because of experience. Due to that fact, you may not be able to do certain things that you want to do.
- You’re just arm candy- Some men may only be interested in you because you look good with them and in turn make them look better.
- You may get bored- Depending on the age difference you may not be interested in the things he does or vice versa, after years of nothing in common you may find yourself craving attention from people in your own age group.
Let’s Chick Chat
*Photo Credit-Madamenoire.com, quickwomensguide.com, zimbio.com*