Online dating has been the popular dating wave for quite some time now. You can date online dating back to America Online(AOL) chat room days, but it is not until most recently where there are MANY websites specifically designed for dating. There’s Match.com, EHarmony, Plenty Of fish, Singles Net, BlackPeopleMeet, Christian Mingles, just to name a few. The list goes on an on and it seems every few months a new site pops up. There is even a popular reality television show called “Cat Fish” that depicts when online dating goes bad and exposes the true identity of the person behind the computer screen.
It appears more people are turning to online dating to find their mate. It is estimated that 40 million people in the United States alone have tried online dating. Online dating has become popular and considered the “norm” even more so as social media becomes more main stream and more people are interacting via web. There are numerous reasons why people chose to online date:
- Time- many people do not have the time to go out and meet single people. We have become a society that is so indulged in careers and accomplishing goals that the time to meet people is just not a priority.
- Diversity- where else can you go to a specific location and meet people from all walks of life. Online dating provides you with numerous potential mates to chose from with just a click of a button
- Cheap- I know some sites have a paid subscription; however, there are plenty of sites that are free. Online dating allows you to get to know a person prior to spending money on dates, outfits, gifts, etc. It allows you to see if this person is even worth your time.
As with any dating experience, you have to put your best foot forward and set a lasting impression. Here are a few tips to enhance your online profile and increase your chances of finding your “soul mate”:
- Picture- Choose pictures that flatter yourself and shows off your greatest assets, such as your smile. Make sure the lighting in the picture is clear so all of your features are exposed. Also, reframe from Photoshop pictures. Remember the goal is to catch of the attention of someone you would potentially meet in person. Photoshop pictures are just the start of someone being fraud.
- Profile Heading- Be yourself in your description. Lying and embellishing will only cause issues later on when you have to explain yourself. Pick a heading that describes your personality and be direct in what you’re looking for.
- Tell a story- Give the reader an insider to who you are. Simply listing adjectives such as, nice, funny, loving are all great but be a little creative and show your personality by describing perhaps a scenario.
Online dating can lead to finding your soul mate just play it safe and remember dating does not happen overnight even if it is online.